Student Access Office


Parent Information

Information for parents of students requesting accommodations.

When a student leaves for college, parents face a major transition. One of the biggest challenges is making the shift from being a caregiver and advocate with some authority over your child’s life to becoming a mentor and support who guides a young adult making his or her own decisions. When the student has a disability, the challenges can become even more complex.

Parents of students who have a disability may have been very involved in all of their child’s precollege education.  We understand that the transition is challenging.  What can a parent do to assist?  If your student has a disability which requires accommodations, do encourage your son or daughter to officially link with the Student Access Office.  You can be very helpful by encouraging the connection and also by ensuring that the student has the required supporting documentation of disability for the Student Access Office to review.

Learn more at the pages below:

» Making the Transition from High School to College (PDF)

For further information, please contact:

Student Access Office
p – 516.877.3806
e –

Apply Now
Request Information