Student Access Office


Faculty and Administrative Handbook

» Download the Student Access Office Faculty and Administrative Handbook

The Faculty and Administrative Handbook is designed to provide you with an introduction to the tools and resources available to guide you in the provision of quality education to students with disabilities.


Q: How do I know if there are students with disabilities in my class?
A: Students will self-identify their disability status and their affiliation with the Student Access Office (SAO).

Q: What can I do to encourage them to approach me?
A: We recommend that you include the following statement in your course syllabus: “Students with disabilities are encouraged to speak to the professor about accommodations they may need to produce an accessible learning environment.”

Q: What are accommodations?
A: Accommodations are reasonable adjustments or modifications to programs, facilities, or curricula that ensure equal access. Some examples of reasonable accommodations are extended time testing, assistive technology, classroom relocation, and note takers.

Q: How do I know if a student is approved for accommodations?
A: Once the Student Access Office Services has approved a student for accommodations, he or she will be issued an Accommodations Card. This card verifies a student’s association with SAO.

Q: What happens if a student has a disability and doesn’t work with SAO?
A: The student may be part of the Learning Resource Program or may need a referral to SAO. Once a student discloses a disability or requests accommodations, it is the faculty member’s obligation to refer that student to SAO.

Q: Who is permitted to know about a student’s disability status or accommodation needs?
A: Student disability information is protected by the Family Education Rights Protection Act (FERPA) and must be held in the strictest confidence. Any public disclosure of a student’s disability is a violation of this law.

Q: What if I don’t agree with an accommodation?
A: Accommodations are determined through a critical assessment of disability documentation in accordance with the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. However, questions or concerns about accommodations may be addressed with the Coordinator.

Q: How do I know if a student is going to take an exam with accommodations?
A: The student should ask you to complete the Release of Examination form at least three to five days prior to the exam. The professor must include date, time, and special instructions for the exam.

Q: When must I provide SAO with a copy of the exam?
A: SAO will contact the professor at his or her Adelphi office to schedule a time for delivery of the exam. Arrangements for exam delivery should be no later than the morning of the exam.

Q: Where is the exam administered?
A: The exam may be given at the testing center in the Student Access Office, meeting rooms in the University Center or classrooms on campus.

Q: I heard that students could also take exams with the Learning Resource Program.
A: Students in the LD program may choose to take their exams in Chapman Hall. A student’s Accommodation Card or letter will specify where he/she is to receive accommodations.

Q: Who provides accommodations if my class meets in the evening or on weekends?
A: SAO will coordinate arrangements for accommodations for these students on an individual basis.

Q: What should I do if I decide to change the location of my classroom?
A: All requests for classroom changes are handled by the Office of the Registrar.

Q: What if I would like to know more about the Student Access Office?
A: Feel free to contact the Office for additional information. SAO is also a resource for faculty members on disability issues.


For further information, please contact:

Student Access Office
p – 516.877.3806
e –

Apply Now
Request Information